While there are countless sites which offer free counters and/or code to build counters I was unable
to find one that met my needs completely. I needed a solution that satisfied the following
- The counter can easily be added to any page may it be written in html, asp, perl or
any other language.
- The solution is usable on a server with multiple websites
- It does not count successive hits from a single machine and browser has multiple visits
(ie someone hitting the reload button several times would not inflate the counter)
- The solution tracks client information; operation system used, browser and version,
screen resolution, color depth and IP Address. This information is useful for understanding
the types of users accessing the site and the technology they use.
- It does not rely on third party components - many providers do not allow users to install
Below are the ASP files, some have a .inc (include files) and .cls (include files but
contain class definitions - one per file) extension. They are saved on this site as text
files to allow for viewing, if you are looking for the actual files please download the zip
file located at the end of this page.
Note that database file (Access 2000) is included in the zip file.
This code, database and related utilities are copyright Scott Perowitz and
Keptin Consulting Services. You may use and distribute this code provided you
retain this header information and copyright notice and you do not profit from it
either in whole or as part of another product/project unless otherwise
granted by written permission from Scott Perowitz or an agent of Keptin Consulting
services. Any other use is strictly prohibitted!
Downloading these files and/or subsequent use signifies your agreement to abide by
all copyright notices contained within these files.